Intro Ski Touring and AST Level 1 (Avalanche Safety Training) – North Vancouver and Whistler
Looking to get into backcountry skiing or split-boarding this season? Or maybe you’ve already got a few trips under your belt and want to further develop your skills. This is THE course for you.
The course combines our popular introduction to ski touring and AST 1 certification. The AST 1 component is based on the world leading curriculum developed by Avalanche Canada. Through out the course we focus on practical application of AST course content for ski touring. Our goal is to set you up with a solid foundation of avalanche knowledge, tools, and the ability to pull it all together make make smart decisions in the backcountry!
Who’s it for?
- New backcountry skiers and splitboarders (No prior touring experience is required)
- Can ski or ride a blue run inbounds confidently
- Fitness for up to 2-3 hours of travel per day
What you’ll learn:
AST 1 Component:
- Avalanche theory
- Companion Rescue
- Human Factors
- Terrain Identification
- Avalanche Danger Ratings
- Snowpack Analysis
Ski Touring Component:
- Equipment Selection and Usage
- Trip planning
- Safe Terrain Usage
- Efficient Uphill Track Setting
- Modern Navigation
- Weather Tools
- Online Course: 4-6 hour online avalanche theory course. Complete at your own pace during the week prior to field session.
- Online Meeting: 7PM on evening before field day
- Field Day 1 North Vancouver: 7AM – 3PM Mount Seymour Park.
- Field Day 2 Whistler/Blackcomb: 8AM – 4PM (Epic Pass or Backcountry Lift Ticket Required)
Note on Lift Tickets: No lift tickets are required for the Mt Seymour Backcountry Field Day.
Backcountry Lift Ticket is required for the Whistler/Blackcomb backcountry field day. Available $69 in our online checkout process. If you already have a Whistler/Blackcomb Epic Pass or Edge card, you can use that instead of purchasing a Backcountry Pass.
Why take a course with us? We are a small dedicated group of professional guides and instructors. Our core mission is to develop backcountry ski culture on the North Shore. We view taking the course as your gateway into a lifetime of backcountry skiing!
Important: You will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of your course or guided trip. Please ensure you have read and understood the waiver prior to the course start date.
Avalanche Course Waiver: AvalancheCanadaWaiver2019.pdf
Scheduled Courses – 2022/2023 Season
Evening Session: Friday (Online Zoom), Field Days: Saturday (Mt Seymour) and Sunday (Whistler/Blackcomb)
|December 2-4, 2022||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|December 7-9, 2022 (Both Field Days at Mt Seymour)||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|December 16-18, 2022||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|January 13-15, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|January 27-29, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|February 10-12, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|February 24-26, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|March 10-12, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
|March 24-26, 2023||$349 CAD||Book Now|
- 2 hour online training
- Complete anywhere at your own schedule prior to Day 1 of course
- 8 AM Morning Session
- 9 AM to 4PM Field Day: Cypress or Seymour Provincial Park
- 8 AM Morning Session
- 9 AM to 4PM Field Day: Whistler/Blackcomb Backcountry
You will need the following gear for your course, contact us if you need any recommendations:
- Alpine touring boots, skis or split-board, poles, skins
- Avalanche kit: transceiver (digital), probe, shovel
- Medium sized backpack (20 to 30l)
- Lunch, snacks, & water
- Helmet is recommended
- Ski googles
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Warm clothing and down jacket for lunch break
- Goretex Jacket & Pants
- Extra gloves and touque
- Smartphone with GPS mapping program installed (Gaia recommended)
- Basic first aid and blister kit
Where can I get Ski Touring Gear Rentals for my course?
Mt Seymour Resorts: Ski Touring Gear Rentals
- Limited rentals are available in the Vancouver area. Mt Seymour resorts provides has a small rental fleet, please contact them and ensure you pickup your gear the prior to the AST field day, as there will not be time in the morning to do so. The rentals are not online so you will need to call them old school with a phone: 604-986-2261
Escape Route Squamish: Ski Touring Gear Rentals
What about split-board rentals?
All Access Adventures Vancouver : Split-board Rentals:
Our awesome partner All-Access-Adventures in Vancouver provides full service splitboard rentals with a discount for BC Ski Guides clients.