AST 1 – North Vancouver
World leading curriculum developed by Avalanche Canada taught by our highly experienced local instructors. This course is THE standard for anyone looking to get into the backcountry skiing and split-boarding. This course will set you up with avalanche theory and the tools for making smart decisions in the backcountry. Learn the most up to date techniques in the industry for avalanche companion rescue.
The course is comprised of: 4-6 hour online course at your own pace, online meeting the evening before your field day, and 1 full field day in the backcountry with your instructor. On the field day, we will review the online course content and then dive right into a full day of field based learning.
Who’s it for?
- New backcountry skiers or split-boarders
- Fitness for up to 2-3 hours of travel per day
- Ability to ski or ride a blue run inbounds
What you’ll learn:
- Avalanche Theory: formation and release
- Companion Rescue
- Avalanche Safety Technology: Airbags, Transceivers, Probes, Shovels
- Human Factors
- Terrain Identification
- Avalanche Danger Ratings
- Snowpack Analysis
- Avaluator System
- Understanding Public Avalanche Bulletins
- Weather Tools
- Online Course: 4-6 hour online avalanche theory course. Complete at your own pace during the week prior to field session.
- Online Meeting: 7PM on evening before field day
- Field Day: 8AM – 4PM Mount Seymour Park.
North Vancouver – Scheduled Courses – 2024 Season
|Nov 25, 2023 to March 30, 2024||$275 CAD||Weekend (Saturday)||Book Now|
|Nov 25, 2023 to March 30, 2024||$225 CAD||Midweek (Thursday)||Book Now|
Important: You will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of your course or guided trip. Please ensure you have read and understood the waiver prior to the course start date.
Avalanche Course Waiver: AvalancheCanadaWaiver.pdf
- Online training
- Complete anywhere at your own schedule prior to Day 2 of course
- 8 AM Morning Session
- 9 AM to 4PM Field Day: Seymour Provincial Park
You will need the following gear for your course, contact us if you need any recommendations:
- Alpine touring boots, skis or split-board, poles, skins
- Avalanche kit: transceiver (digital), probe, shovel
- Medium sized backpack (20 to 30l)
- Lunch, snacks, & water
- Helmet is recommended
- Ski googles
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Warm clothing and down jacket for lunch break
- Goretex Jacket & Pants
- Extra gloves and touque
- Smartphone with GPS mapping program installed (Gaia recommended)
- Basic first aid and blister kit
Where can I get Ski Touring Gear Rentals for my course?
Mt Seymour Resorts: Ski Touring Gear Rentals
- Limited rentals are available in the Vancouver area. Mt Seymour resorts provides has a small rental fleet, please contact them and ensure you pickup your gear the prior to the AST field day, as there will not be time in the morning to do so. The rentals are not online so you will need to call them old school with a phone: 604-986-2261
Escape Route Squamish: Ski Touring Gear Rentals
What about split-board rentals?
All Access Adventures Vancouver : Split-board Rentals:
Our awesome partner All-Access-Adventures in Vancouver provides full service splitboard rentals with a discount for BC Ski Guides clients.