AST Level 1 (Avalanche Safety Training) – North Vancouver 1 Day Course
Based on the world leading curriculum developed by Avalanche Canada. This course is THE standard for anyone looking to venture into the backcountry on skis, snowboard, or snowshoes. This course will set you up with avalanche theory and the tools for making smart decisions in the backcountry. Learn the most up to date techniques in the industry for avalanche companion rescue.
The course is comprised of: 4-6 hour online course at your own pace, online meeting the night before your field day, and 1 full field day on the mountain with your instructor. On the field day, we will review the online course content and then dive right into a full day of field based learning.
Who’s it for?
- New backcountry skiers, split-boarders, or snowshoers (No prior backcountry experience is required)
- Fitness for up to 2-3 hours of travel per day
What you’ll learn:
- Avalanche Theory: formation and release
- Companion Rescue
- Avalanche Safety Technology: Airbags, Transceivers, Probes, Shovels
- Human Factors
- Terrain Identification
- Avalanche Danger Ratings
- Snowpack Analysis
- Avaluator System
- Understanding Public Avalanche Bulletins
- Weather Tools
- Online Course: 4-6 hour online avalanche theory course. Complete at your own pace during the week prior to field session.
- Online Meeting: 7PM on evening before field day
- Field Day: 7AM – 3PM North Vancouver: Mount Seymour Park.
BC Ski Guides is stoked to be operating our new commercial passenger van for the 2021/22 season for trips to local North Vancouver parks. In recent years, the North Shore mountain parks have seen huge increase in the number of users and resulting pressure on limited parking spaces. Our shuttle van enables us help out by minimizing our impact on other local park users and has environmental benefits which we love! Please plan to meet our van at Parkgate Village at the base of Mount Seymour at 0630AM and depart shortly afterwards at 0700AM. More information including van COVID protocols will be provided during the online meeting the evening prior to your field day.
Scheduled Courses – 2021/2022 Season
10% Early Bird Discount Until Oct 31, 2021! Use promo code EarlyBirdPOW at checkout.
|$265 CAD||Book Now|
|$225 CAD||Book Now|
Important: You will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of your course or guided trip. Please ensure you have read and understood the waiver prior to the course start date.
Avalanche Course Waiver: AvalancheCanadaWaiver2019.pdf
- Online training
- Complete anywhere at your own schedule prior to Day 2 of course
- 8 AM Morning Session
- 9 AM to 4PM Field Day: Seymour Provincial Park
You will need the following gear for your course, contact us if you need any recommendations:
- Alpine touring boots, skis or split-board, poles, skins
- Avalanche kit: transceiver (digital), probe, shovel
- Medium sized backpack (20 to 30l)
- Lunch, snacks, & water
- Helmet is recommended
- Ski googles
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Warm clothing and down jacket for lunch break
- Goretex Jacket & Pants
- Extra gloves and touque
- Smartphone with GPS mapping program installed (Gaia recommended)
- Basic first aid and blister kit