Advanced Ski Touring Course – Tantalus Range
Tantalus a mecca for skiers and boarders looking to ride in an incredible alpine environment with many options for advanced ski objectives.
We will be spending 2 nights and 3 days skiing based out of our tent camp at 2000m. We will access the camp via a helicopter flight from the Squamish airport.
Who’s it for?
- Advanced backcountry skiers and boarders (2+ years experience, 15 days per season)
- Can ski or ride a black run inbounds confidently
- Fitness for up to 8 hours of mountain travel per day
- AST-1 or higher training
Course is entirely field based and will focus on advanced ski touring, glacier travel, and steep skiing techniques. We will also be covering daily morning avalanche and weather forecasting, terrain usage, alpine navigation tools, and technical rope systems. Technical topics include usage of rope systems for rappel entry into ski lines, crevasse rescue, and cliff rescue.
The size group is small with lead guide Tristen Rasmussen and an assistant guide.
Note: BC Ski Guides Ltd is a valid BC Parks Permit holder for Tantalus Range BC.
Important Waiver: You will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of your course or guided trip. Please ensure you have read and understood the waiver prior to the start date: ACMGRELEASE.pdf
Scheduled Dates – 2020/2021
|March 12-14, 2021||$1395 CAD/person|
|March 26-28, 2021||$1395 CAD/person|
|April 2-4, 2021||$1395 CAD/person|
Custom 2021 Dates: Please contact us with your dates and group info. firstname.lastname@example.org
Note Regarding Weather: In the event that we are unable to fly into Tantalus Range due to weather, alternate locations will be used near Whistler and Pemberton.
BC Ski Guides Cancellation Policy: BCSG Cancellation Policy
0700 Friday – Blacktusk Helicopters, Squamish Airport
- Weather permitting early AM flight into Tantalus Range
- What to bring: Please arrive dressed and ready to go for a day in the field.
- Full day of ski touring and learning
- Full day of skiing. Return flight to Squamish in PM
You will need the following gear for your day:
- Alpine touring boots, skis or split-board, poles, skins
- Avalanche kit: transceiver (digital), probe, shovel
- Medium sized backpack (20 to 30l)
- Lunch, snacks, & water
- Helmet is recommended
- Ski googles
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Warm clothing and down jacket for lunch break
- Goretex Jacket & Pants
- Extra gloves and touque
- Smartphone with GPS mapping program installed (Gaia recommended)
- Basic first aid and blister kit
- Short Ski Mountaineering Ice Axe
- 13cm ice screw
- 2 locking carabiners
- 120cm sling
- Ski Crampons (Recommended)
- Boot Crampons (Recommended)