Japan backcountry skiing. We will be returning to the land of the rising sun and deep powder in 2020!
Japan is legendary for exceptional backcountry skiing and unique cultural experiences. Our first “recon” trip to the less known area of Tenjin in 2018 blew our minds and we’ve been going back since!
Tenjin is located in the heart of the Japanese Alps, a few hours north of Tokyo on the main island of Honshu. Tenjin provides access to some incredible ski terrain. A short hike or skin from the top of the lifts, gives access to 700m+ backcountry ski runs through beautiful Japanese forests and ridge features. There are also many options for longer ski tours and alpine ski touring objectives.
The other advantage of our Tenjin program is that you will ski the next morning after your flight into Tokyo!
Japanese apres ski culture involves a visit to a traditional natural hot spring, called an Onsen, followed by a delicious dinner. Our accommodations are at a lodge a short distance from the ski areas. The lodge provides comfortable accommodations.
Tenjin gets a massive amount of snowfall. In the event that the Tenjin lifts are closed due to weather or avalanche hazard, there are other nearby skiing options.
Tenjin, Japan, 2020.
Important:You will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of your trip. Please ensure you have read and understood the waiver prior to the trip start date.
Guided Trip Waiver: ACMGRELEASE.pdf
Who’s it for:
Advanced to expert skiers and snowboarders.
- Jan 12 to 19, 2020
- $3500 CAD + GST per person
Deposit or full payment required to secure your spot. Balance due on October 1, 2019.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Tokyo Narita Airport, Japan|
|MEETING TIME||5pm, Jan 12, 2020|
Plan to arrive at Tokyo Narita International airport on Jan 6th. Most international flights from North America arrive in the late afternoon. We will meet at 5pm and then take the bullet train to Minakami. If you would prefer, you can meet us directly in Minakami.
The train travel from Narita International to Minakami is as follows:
- Tokyo to TAKASAKI: SHINKANSEN MaxTANIGAWA (Bullet Train).
- TAKASAKI to Minakami: JR Joetsu Line (Regular Train)
Full train schedule can be found at:
- Jan 11: Depart Vancouver for Tokyo
- Jan 12: Arrive in Tokyo in afternoon and travel to lodge same day.
- Jan 13 to 18: Ski!
- Jan 18: Travel to Tokyo after day of skiing and spend an evening out for dinner.
- Jan 19: Breakfast in Tokyo and fly back home in afternoon.
You will need the following gear for your trip:
- Hardshell travel case for skis
- Suitcase with rollers for easy travel
- Alpine touring skis or split-board
- Climbing skins
- Touring boots
- Avalanche kit: transceiver (digital), probe, shovel
- Ski googles
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Sun hat
- Down jacket
- 2 pairs of Gloves
- Waterproof shell pants and jacket
- Base and mid layers
- Windproof and breathable jacket
- Water bottle (1 or 2 litres)
- Comfortable city and lodge clothes.
- Winter boots for wearing around lodge
- Bathing suit for onsen